Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A month later... and Im still alive!!!

WOW.... a month has flown by and it feels like nothing.
Over the past week and a half I have been settling into a normal routine of class, social, working out, and eating.  I have definitely gotten use to using the tube to go to the gym and class.
Nothing too interesting has happened in the past 10 days, but I will fill you in on some fun school assignments.
For Fashion PR I have a rough photo shoot due.... now I'm not sure why she has us doing this, but you can't argue with a women who ran Burberry PR.  We have to take photographs that showcase a piece of jewelry (ill put one of our rough photos on the bottom).
For Intro to British Art my teacher assigned me a critique on the painting Whistlejacket by George Stubbs.  The painting is just of a horse: no background, no people; so, 500 words seemed a bit steep, but I did it!! Me and the horse are best friends now.  See, the British love their horses, especially when they win lost of dosh (thats money in British), so naturally Whistlejacket (a champion horse) got painted in life size.  (Mom, I'll take you to the National Gallery to see the painting.  It's kinda cool)

The one exciting event that did happen: I WENT TO DUBLIN!!!
Now let me preface this with the fact that I was sick all weekend and wasn't truly able to enjoy all that Dublin has to offer, but I got a good chunk of it.
During my time in Dublin I went to the Guinness factory, which was awesome.  We saw the history of the company and got to get certified in Guinness beer pouring.  I also enjoyed a large pint of their drink (not bad I must say).  Fun fact: Guinness signed a 2000 year lease for 40 pounds a year..... now thats what I call a bargain!
We also ate at the local pubs....mmmm delicious! And got to go on a tour of the Castle.  We also saw the oldest pub in Dublin, Trinity College, and crazy locals.
Now here are the key things I learned from the locals in Dublin.

  1. G-d invented beer so the Irish wouldn't take over the world.
  2. They love rugby
  3. Their cold remedy: hot Irish Whiskey: Hot Water, Whiskey, Lemon, Clove.  For those who do not remember my Bat Mitzvah, this is almost the exact same thing Rabbi Ishay gave me when I was sick.  Let me tell you, THIS STUFF IS GREAT.  Promise, it works
  4. Their hangover solution: dont go to bed.... instead go to a pub order a fry (i think its super greasy bread thats fried) and then chug down 3 pints and go to bed around 2.  Wake up around 1 in the afternoon and you will be good as new.  Now I haven't yet tested this, but locals swear upon it.
  5. The Irish are fans of sing-a-longs while intoxicate at a pub.  This is by far the funniest thing to hear and see.  Everyone in the pub joins in and sings at the top of their lungs.  It's great fun!
Well that's all for now!  I gotta go rest up because tonight is my 21st birthday!! Don't worry, I am celebrating at The Sports Cafe, which is a very American bar here, so people will appreciate this big bday!

Meggo

No comments:

Post a Comment